The organisation comprises multiple businesses, affiliates and joint ventures, which after years of growth through acquisition, has resulted in a highly complex IT structure. This complex structure is characterised by high operational costs, multiple ERP solutions and software licenses, made more challenging due to aging infrastructure, and an increasing number of varied type remote users, all with complex and costly end user provisioning. As part of its transformation journey, the client initiated a business rationalisation program in order to increase its operating efficiency. Looking closely at its IT landscape, the client had identified its aging Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and subsequent high cost of service delivery, as key transformation areas.
The client engaged ASG as its partner to transition its IT infrastructure and ERP applications to an outsourced delivery model that would modernise their solutions, provide a centralised and strong governance operating model and deliver significantly lower costs and increased efficiencies.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT
Our client is a large engineering-led construction and mining company with around 50,000 employees working across leading infrastructure and resource projects around the world.
It is an Australian listed entity, though it operates internationally in over 20 countries, undergoing a variety of activities in construction, contract mining, operation and maintenance, development, and delivery.
The client’s existing ERP solution consisted of Oracle’s JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (JDE) and Business Intelligence (BI) solutions (OBIEE and Hyperion Planning) used to manage its core Financial business functions. The ERP solution provided services for multiple business entities spread over the various locations around the world, each requiring secure business transactions between on-premise applications, external third-party organisations and other Cloud SaaS providers.
As part of its strategy to consolidate and modernise its operating environment, the client initiated a business rationalisation program with the core IT objectives of:
- Cloud deployment model to provide global accessibility and scalability;
- Locally deployed production environments to cater for data sovereignty;
- End user experience and system efficiencies equal or superior to legacy systems;
- Reduced capital and operating costs over five years.
As a long-term partner to the client, ASG were engaged to help the organisation find a solution, or set of solutions, that would help them to restructure their business operating model aimed at centralisation and strong governance. After thorough analysis, ASG put forward a proposal to transition the client’s ERP systems to an outsourced delivery model. It was proposed that the new model would not only provide the client with immediately
reduced overheads, but would also simplify its global IT landscape, providing a greater return on investment over time, whilst contributing to broader transformational objectives.
As an experienced Managed Service Provider and Oracle Platinum Partner, with extensive experience in delivering successful integration strategies and services – ASG was selected to define and develop a roadmap to transition the client to a cloud model and deliver the following:
- A JDE solution across their global operations – Australia, the Americas, Africa and Asia; running on an Oracle Cloud Platform;
- Offer a complete Oracle ecosystem back to the client, leveraging the automation available in Oracle’s Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Cloud
- A “as a service” package offering including all core applications on a subscription role-based per user model removing legacy platforms and transitioning from a Hybrid IaaS/PaaS/Apps layer to a next-generation end-toend pay per use service;
- Sophisticated visual outputs sourced from a robust yet flexible and scalable data management and storage platform.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL CASE STUDY
ASG broke the journey into three phases, in order to achieve significant and lasting outcomes for our client. Read more about our approach and delivery in the full case study. Download now using the button below.
Other case studies
WORLD CLASS DATA PLATFORM DELIVERED FOR MAIN ROADS WA
Modern Data platformServices/ Solutions
Data and AnalyticsRead More
DELIVERED WITH DISTINCTION: ORACLE IAM SOLUTION FOR EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY
Identity Access Management, Migration to cloud-based web hosting solutionServices/ Solutions
Cloud and SecurityRead More