As with most large organisations, investments in skills and tools are focused on everyday operational procedures, and for high level strategic programs of work that contribute to the traditional view of efficiency and growth. For our client, with a large and complex ICT environment, focus on the everyday had led to a lack of focus on proactively managing its large and growing software portfolio. Following consultation with ASG’s Software Asset Management (SAM) team – Group 10 Consulting -there were four main challenge areas identifed.
With such significant software licence holdings and annual expenditure, the client was concerned that it was without a clear view into how its software was deployed, for example- was it optimal, and how much of what had been procured was actually in use? It was therefore unclear whether its commercial arrangements and vendor relationships were providing value for money or had room to improve.
Following consultation with ASG’s Software Asset Management (SAM) team – Group 10 Consulting -there were four main challenge areas identified:
- Large numbers of requests for software products and advice in its service management queue with no mandated response time;
- Minimal controls/process and visibility regarding software deployment and usage;
- Lack of technology in support of SAM activities, such as discovery and asset management systems
- Little documentation and industry aligned standardised processes to operationally manage its software asset portfolio.
With its clear objectives around cost and risk reduction, the client enlisted ASG owned, Group 10 to help it implement an end-to-end SAM service to procure and manage its commercial software estate.
As an experienced IT provider with a history of providing cost reduction services and instilling better practices for future improvements, Group 10 was able to deliver:
- A cost savings program generating significant year on year savings;
- Improved software management practices to strengthen vendor relationships and investment value;
- KPIs to measure the Services’ effectiveness;
- Annual SAM Maturity assessments and roadmaps to continuous improvement;
- A rolling compliance program prioritising those products and vendors posing the highest risk to the organisation;
- A SAM technology roadmap aligned with architectural direction;
- Licensing optimisation advice to projects prior to purchasing software and ensuring optimal use of licences;
- More efficient processes and governance.
This resulted in:
- Savings and cost avoidance of $230M since Group 10 was engaged in 2013.
- Significantly increased visibility of software deployments and usage.
- Significantly reduced risk of software non-compliance.
- Flexible, innovative commercial arrangements aimed to optimise current and minimise future spend with software vendors.
- Implementation of performance management and reporting.
- Significant improvement in business interaction (end user experience) through:
- Effective user communications;
- Reduction in software queue numbers and request times.
DOWNLOAD FULL CASE STUDY
Read the full story on how we saved our client $230M and how we are working with them on future objectives.
Other case studies
SAP S/4 HANA: HONDA AUSTRALIA
SAP S/4 HANA ImplementationServices/ Solutions
Program Delivery and ChangeRead More
VIC WATER AUTHORITY: SYSTEM OVERHAUL DELIVERS GREATER CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
IT Strategy and PlanningServices/ Solutions
Integration, Strategy and AdvisoryRead More